裸舞 纽约杂志- 马斯克的DOGE启动以来, 情况何如样了?

裸舞 纽约杂志- 马斯克的DOGE启动以来, 情况何如样了?

裸舞

Since starting DOGE, Elon Musk has saved taxpayers hundreds of bil — So the actual savings is around 2 billion, according to budget experts.

自启动DOGE以来,埃隆·马斯克已为征税东说念主从简了数百亿 —— 阐明预算众人的说法,现实从简金额约为20亿。

So Elon needs help.

因此,埃隆需要匡助。

And we spoke to some people who can help him.

咱们采访了一些能匡助他的东说念主。

Here's how much money they've saved you.

以下是他们为您从简的金额。

75 billion.

750亿。

Well over $10 billion, I think $10.8 billion.

擢升100亿好意思元,我揣摸是108亿好意思元。

$30 billion hard dollars.

300亿好意思元硬性资金。

$14.5 billion, at least.

至少145亿好意思元。

Hundreds of millions of dollars at NASA.

在NASA,从简了数亿好意思元。

They might not be 19 and they don't have chainsaws, but these people know a thing or two about saving you money.

他们大概不是19岁, 也莫得电锯,但这些东说念主如实懂得怎么帮你省钱。

We did an audit that was released in October of last year, looking at pricing for spare parts for the C-17.

咱们进行了一项审计, 并于客岁十月发布,旨在审查C-17大型运载机的备件价钱。

The big transport.

大型运载机。

We identified one particularly egregious spare part.

咱们发现了一个绝顶过分的备件。

I believe it was a 7,943% markup on a soap dispenser.

我敬佩那是一个洗手液分派器上高达7,943%的涨价。

There was this rapper, I think his name was Nuke Bizzle.

有个说唱歌手,我念念他叫Nuke Bizzle。

And Nuke Bizzle he got so comfortable stealing this unemployment insurance fraud money that he actually went online and did a video.

于是,Nuke Bizzle在盗窃休闲保障诓骗资金这件事上变得如斯如臂使指,以至于他真是上网发布了一段视频。

I didn't even go to the bank of the stack.

我致使齐没去银行存这笔钱。

It was the video that led to his capture.

恰是这段视频导致了他的被捕。

Nuke Bizzle boasted about getting rich off fake Covid 19 relief funds.

Nuke Bizzle曾吹法螺通缝隙实的新冠疫情救援资金致富。

Former Secretary David Shulkin had taken a European trip with his wife.

前布告大卫·舒尔金和他的老婆进行了一次欧洲之旅。

It was essentially a couple of hours of meetings, but the rest of the time they were sightseeing in Europe.

骨子上, 他们只开了几个小时的会,其余技巧齐在欧洲不雅光游览。

As well as getting tickets to the Wimbledon tennis tournament.

还搞到了温布尔登网球锦标赛的门票。

The government had paid for this trip, so we did the investigation.

政府为这次行程买单,因此咱们张开了打听。

影视在线

The secretary had to pay back the value of the Wimbledon tickets, the value of his wife's trip, expensive soap, fancy tennis tournaments.

这位布告不得不偿还温布尔登网球赛的门票用度、他老婆旅行的用度、考究的香皂以及糜掷网球赛事的支拨。

You'd think Trump and Musk would be dying to work with these people.

你可能会以为特朗普和马斯克会迫不足待地念念与这些东说念主互助。

Unfortunately, that's not how this story goes.

缺憾的是,故事并未如斯发展。

Dear Christine, dear Larry, dear hat, on behalf of President Donald J. Trump, I'm writing to inform you that due to changing priorities, your position as Inspector General, Inspector General of Inspector General, the Inspector General of Department of Defense at the United States Agency for International Development of the Small Business Administration, Department of Labor, Veterans Affairs, interior, Health and Human Services is terminated.

亲爱的克里斯汀,亲爱的拉里,亲爱的帽子,我谨代表唐纳德·J·特朗普总统,见告您由于优先事项的变更,您担任的监察长、监察长之监察长、国防部监察长、好意思国国外征战署监察长、小企业措置局监察长、劳工部监察长、退伍军东说念主事务部监察长、内务部监察长以及卫生与公众职业部监察长的职务已被断绝,即刻奏效。

Terminated effective immediately.

即刻奏效。

Thank you for your service.

感谢您为公司所作念的孝顺。

Signed.

签署。

Trent Morris, Deputy director, Office of Presidential Personnel.

特伦特·莫里斯,总统东说念主事办公室副主任。

So who are these people and what exactly do they do?

那么这些东说念主到底是谁,他们具体作念些什么?

What Inspector General's have done for almost 50 years is not only save taxpayers billions and billions of dollars, we look for fraud.

近50年来, 监察长的职责不仅是为征税东说念主从简了数以亿计的好意思元,咱们还勉力于发现诓骗活动, 追查不妥活动。

We look for misconduct.

咱们追查不妥活动。

We look for inefficiency, crimes committed against Medicare, against Medicaid.

咱们寻找后果低下的问题,以及针对医疗保障、医疗扶持的积恶活动。

It's everything from murders to threats against foster care programs, fraud that involved Covid supplies, contract fraud to benefits fraud.

从谋杀到恫吓寄养护理名堂,触及新冠物质的诓骗,左券诓骗到福利诓骗, 教育相长。

We look for that sort of waste all the time.

咱们一直在寻找这类浮滥活动。

Over the weekend, President Trump continued his flurry of executive moves, firing at least 15 inspectors general.

上周末, 特朗普总统连续其密集的行政算作,罢黜了至少15名监察长。

All right, so Trump fired some federal employees.

好吧,是以特朗普罢黜了一些联邦雇员。

Why should we care?

咱们为何要介意?

This is not a story of a personal tragedy for Mike.

这并不是迈克个东说念主悲催的故事。

We're right.

咱们是对的。

What American taxpayers should care about is that this was a whole sale or removal of 17, 18, 19 inspectors general.

好意思国征税东说念主应当心理的是,这现实上是对17、18致使19名监察长的批量撤换。这一事件具有历史性真谛。

This is historic.裸舞

这是历史性的。

This has never been done with this number of bags that have been fired.

这是前所未有的,从未有过如斯多量的袋子被辐射出去。

At one time, you took away the people who are charged with ensuring that Americans are covered.

一度,你们撤换了那些施展确保好意思国东说念主民获得保障的东说念主员。

Firing IG's puts up an open for business line to fraudsters.

罢黜监察长为诓骗者打开了大门。

Administrations come and go.

政府更替。

It didn't make any difference to us who the president was, what the party was.

无论总统是谁,无论政党怎么,对咱们来说齐无关弥留。

President Donald Trump appointed me, President Biden, President Donald Trump, President Obama.

唐纳德·特朗普总统任命了我,拜登总统、唐纳德·特朗普总统、奥巴马总统也是。

The only way that this is done in a fair, unbiased and impartial way is if inspectors general are allowed to operate in an independent manner, free from political interference.

惟一能确保这一历程公正、无偏见且公正的样式,即是允许监察长以孤立的花样运作,免受政事干扰。

Who is he putting in our place if he's putting in inexperienced political lackeys?

如若他安插的是衰败告诫、敬谨如命的政事奴才,那他又是在把谁放在咱们的位置上呢?

you know, folks who are lapdogs, not watchdogs.

所谓的走狗,而不是看门狗。

then then their credibility, I think, just goes out the window.

然后他们的着实度,我觉得,就完全丧失了。

The reports will not have the same efficacy, will not have the same impact.

讲明将不会具有相通的遵循,不会产生相通的影响。

The big deal is that you don't want to burn down the institution that is responsible for ensuring that you have independent oversight and transparency in government.

要津在于,你不会但愿破坏阿谁施展确保政府领有孤立监督和透明度的机构。

Collectively, these people have seen it all.

这些东说念主集体来看,什么世面齐见过。

Crime.

积恶。

Fraud.

拐骗。

Government inefficiency.

政府后果低下。

Now that they're gone, they have some concerns about the future.

既然他们已离去,他们对未来怀有一些忧虑。

One of the impacts of these terminations is going to be a self-censorship.

这些罢黜的一个影响将是自我审查的出现。

I know when I left, there was a report on my desk, that was, once giving out.

我知说念我离开时,桌上有一份讲明,一朝发布,可能会引起一些不安。

It will probably cause some, angst.

它可能会引起一些恐慌。

There would be a reluctance, across the OIG community, I'm sure, with reports that may have an adverse or negative impact, against that department, because they understand that, you know, this could cause, maybe loss of job.

不错笃定的是,通盘监察长办公室社区齐会对那些可能对该部门产生不利或负面影响的讲明有所费神,因为他们明显,这可能导致,大概会带来休闲的风险。

The message is sent that if you do the work that you're intended to do and it's not popular, that you'll be punished, because now, if you're an auditor or if you're an investigator, why would you want to write a report that you think may get you fired?

传递出的信息是, 如若你完成了你本应作念的责任, 但这项责任不受迎接,你就会受到处分,因为面前,如若你是又名审计员或打听员,为什么要写一份你觉得可能会让你丢掉责任的讲明呢?

But if you had any doubts, look at what happened to the US.

但若有任何疑虑,不妨望望好意思国发生的事。

ATO IG Paul Martin, great IG, well-respected, put out a very tough report about the negative impacts that could occur based on what they were doing to downsize USAID.

ATO监察长保罗·马丁, 备受尊敬的隆起监察长,发布了一份严厉的讲明, 详备施展了阐明他们缩减好意思国国外征战署(USAID)范畴所禁受顺序可能带来的负面影响。

The report came out on Monday night.

讲明于周一晚上发布。

Tuesday.

周二。

He was fired.

他被罢黜了。

This is not exactly how I intended to end my 40 year federal career, but so be it.

这并非我设念念中死心我方40年联邦职业生计的花样,但事已至此,也只可接受。

And who's going to be brave enough to speak truth to power when speaking truth to power mean you're fired the next day?

又有谁敢冒着说出真相第二天就被罢黜的风险,勇敢地向权利讲出真相呢?

President Trump has just announced Elon Musk will lead the Department of Government Efficiency.

特朗普总统刚刚通告,埃隆·马斯克将指引政府后果部门。

That's in many ways.

从多方面来看,如实如斯。

These people were the OG Doge.

这些东说念主可谓是元老级狗狗币玩家。

Here's what they think of Trump's new working group.

以下是他们关于特朗普新责任组的主张。

My first reaction when I heard of Doge, I was like, oh, this is not a bad thing at all.

我第一次神话Doge时,我的反馈是,哦,这完全不是件赖事。

They dovetail with exactly what we do in in the inspector general community.

它们与咱们监察长社区所作念的责任完全吻合。

The efficiency is literally in our name.

后果如实是咱们名字的一部分。

And I said, well, this is great.

我说,这太棒了。

These are folks that we can work with.

这些齐是咱们不错互助的东说念主。

I reached out to Doge, on four different occasions.

我曾四次主动相干Doge。

We were excited to be able to meet with them.

咱们满怀期待能够与他们会面。

That never happened.

那从未发生。

Never got a call back.

从未接到来电。

They're going in and just firing a lot of people.

他们进去后获胜罢黜了遍及职工。

And that is extremely dangerous to do.

这样作念极其危急。

I was at VA for almost nine years.

我在退伍军东说念主事务部责任了快要九年。

I got to know it very, very well.

我对它相称、相称了解。

That kind of experience is invaluable.

那种告诫是桂林一枝。

And it's almost impossible, if not impossible, just to come in and in a matter of weeks, say, I know the agency and I can make decisions and I know all the implications of those decision.

而险些弗成能,致使不错说是弗成能的是,只是几周技巧就声称我方了解这个机构、能够作念出有筹算,而况完全明显这些有筹算的系数影响。对我来说,这口角常危急的。

To me, that's very dangerous.

在我看来,那口角常危急的。

How much do you believe, Elon, you've identified in waste, fraud, abuse, corruption now and how much do you anticipate you will?

你觉得,埃隆,面前你依然发现了若干浮滥、诓骗、滥用和退让痛快?你瞻望未来还会发现若干?

I think he's going to find $1 trillion.

我觉得他能发现一万亿好意思元。

Yeah, I think so.

是的,我也这样觉得。

$1 trillion is a lot of money.

1万亿好意思元可不是个少量目。

I don't think there's $1 trillion in fraud in the federal government.

我不觉得联邦政府存在1万亿好意思元的诓骗活动。

Is there bloat?

是否存在肥胖?

Is there ineffectiveness?

是否存在后果低下的问题?

Is there inefficient?

是否存在后果低下的问题?

Absolutely.

统统。

There's no question that there's a lot of fat to trim in the federal government, but to think that there's $1 trillion worth of fraud and I'm talking criminal fraud, and any government organization I just don't think is realistic.

毫无疑问,联邦政府有好多冗余部分需要精简,但觉得存在价值1万亿好意思元的诓骗活动,而且是触及任何政府机构的刑事诓骗, 这在我看来并不现实。 我不知说念这何如可能。

I don't know how that's possible.

我不知说念那何如可能。

In a matter of 3 or 4 days or a week or two, it takes anywhere from nine months to a year to really determine the effectiveness of a program.

短短三四天或一两周内,要着实评估一个项筹算成效, 不绝需要九个月到一年的技巧。

And that's with the staffs that we have.

而这照旧在现存职工的基础上。

I can imagine have a team of, 4 or 5 or 6 or 719 year olds who don't understand in that particular program how you could do that.

我不错念念象领有一支由4、5、6或7个19岁的年青东说念主构成的团队,在阿谁特定的名堂中,他们可能不解白你们是怎么作念到的。

Good luck.

祝你好运。

What are the guardrails here that could stop President Trump?

这里有哪些制约机制能辛勤特朗普总统?

This is a nakedly illegal action.

这是一个赤裸裸的违纪活动。

So what should we take away from all of this?

那么,咱们能从这一切中获得什么启示呢?

Will there be more fraud and corruption in America?

好意思国会出现更多的诓骗和退让吗?

Or does the firing of the inspectors general symbolize something much, much darker?

或者,监察长的被罢黜是否标志着更为冗忙的黯澹面?

Is our democracy in danger?

咱们的民主是否处于危急之中?

Our democracy is not.

咱们的民主并非岌岌可危。

Not even in danger.

致使莫得处于危急之中。

It's no longer a democracy when people don't have the freedom to speak truth to power, where independent oversight is no longer a thing, where transparency in government is viewed negatively when all measures of accountability, when those checks and balances that the founders put in, throughout our our structure of government, when those checks and balances start to fail.

当东说念主民失去处权利说实话的解放,孤立监督不复存在,政府透明度被负面看待,系数问责顺序失效,那些奠基者在咱们政府架构中设立的制衡机制驱动失效时,这就不再是一个民主国度了。

That to me would send off alarm bells.

这在我看来会敲响警钟。

I think we're getting close.

我觉得咱们正接近真相。

I think the firing of the IGS was one where the checks and balances didn't work.

我觉得罢黜IGS的事件清楚了权利制衡机制的失效。

I think history is going to frowned upon this moment.

我觉得历史将会对这一刻蹙眉动怒。

I'm worried about the deafening silence that's coming from Congress and many quarters of Congress.

我惦记来自国会以及国会好多方面的令东说念主战栗的千里默。

With respect to the removal of inspector general's not as individuals, but the harm and the chilling effect this is having on independent oversight in the federal government.

至于监察长的免职, 并非针对个东说念主,而是这种活动对子邦政府孤立监督形成的毁伤偏激带来的寒蝉效应。

Congress really needs to step up.

国会如实需要加放浪度。

Congress needs to do more.

国会需要作念得更多。

And if Congress doesn't step up and tell the administration that they want truly independent, nonpartisan inspectors general, they're going to lose a really valuable tool and resource to help them do their job.

如若国会不积极算作, 向政府明确默示他们需要着实孤立、无党派的监察长,他们将失去一个极其可贵的器用和资源, 这将匡助他们更好地实践职责。

And if they're not doing their job to do oversight of the executive branch, then one of our checks and balances is going to fall.

如若他们未能实践对行政分支的监督职责,那么咱们三权分立体系中的一环就会失效。

Come on.

加油。

That's when we know our democracy is in trouble.

那即是咱们知说念咱们的民主堕入窘境的时候。

And I think, quite frankly, that that's where we are currently.

坦率地说裸舞,我觉得这即是咱们现时所处的境地。